Table of contents:
Electrolysis hair removal can be a quite painful procedure. Everyone has their own tolerance to pain. Descriptions of the discomfort vary from “no worse than a mosquito bite”, to “like having a rubber band snapped hard against my bare skin.” Electrolysis can give a stinging and pricking sensation, and you have to go through it with each hair.
Important: the anal region will not be treated!
The degree of pain is relative to the area of treatment. Certain spots, such as the upper lip, are known to be more sensitive than spots like the brows. In our clinic, we work with local anesthesia, which reduces the pain to zero.
How does it work?
- One injection of local anesthesia numbs an area of skin about the size of a coin, more or less. When starting your treatment, we will make several small injections to start working on the specific area. For example, when working on the chin, it takes about 4 small injections to numb half of the chin area.
- Along the way, each time the numbed area has been completely cleared of hair, you will be given more injections as to numb a new area that will then be worked on.
Which pain medication is used?
The medication we use is called Xylocaine 1% with adrenaline.
Local anesthetics are generally safe and usually don’t cause any side effects, aside from some tingling as it wears off.
- The injections can be unpleasant. Patients that have a hard time dealing with needles and/or injections should mentally prepare. Pulling away during an injection can be dangerous since you don't know where the needle will end up. You need to be able to sit through it.
- Some areas are more sensitive than others (upper lip is very sensitive, for example). The injections can hurt more in those spots.
- With local anesthesia most people can tolerate electrolysis sessions of up to 8 hours a day.
- Make sure you have a proper breakfast in the morning.
We are doing our very best to keep this information up-to-date. In case you see anything that no longer seems accurate, or in case you have a question, please fill out the form below!