What does facial feminization surgery cost?
Table of contents:
When it comes to facial feminization surgery (FFS) there is no 'one size fits all' answer. The reason is everybody has their own unique facial features and their own specific desires. The amount and duration of the procedures you need or want influence the average price for FFS surgery. Very roughly speaking, Facial Feminization Surgery costs range from 5.000 to 60.000 euros. At 2pass Clinic, prices range from 5.000 to 30.000 euro depending on the procedures you need.
We argue that for many transgender women, FFS is medically necessary to treat gender dysphoria. It can be just as important or even more important than sex reassignment surgery (SRS) in reducing gender dysphoria and helping trans women integrate socially as women. We think it should be covered by your basic medical insurance, but unfortunately, we are still far from this ideal. Although health coverage increasingly accepts different types of gender transition surgery, facial feminization remains part of the “cosmetic” category of many insurers. We made a webpage with an overview of the facial feminization surgery insurance policies of different countries.
The average cost of Facial Feminization Surgery
Facial Feminization Surgery is a proven way to pass much easier and boosts your self-confidence and acceptance. However, the price of FFS is high and for many of us, knowing the rates of a surgeon helps in making an informed decision. Since most patients have to make a long journey for FFS, travel and accommodation costs are other factors to take into account.
Caution—A higher cost does not equal better care or a better quality treatment. In the end, one has to make a decision based on which FFS surgeon can most likely give them the preferred outcome.
Cost comparison of 6 FFS surgeons
A patient gave us access to her 6 facial feminization surgery cost quotes, all made for the same patient. Based on these we have made a detailed FFS price comparison. You can find the prices for each of these FFS surgeons by downloading the pdf right below!
Price FFS: Costs of medical treatment
We have FFS price quotes from the following 6 surgeons:
- Facial Team, Marbella, Spain
- Dr. Marcelo Di Maggio, MDM Surgery, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Dr. Christopher Inglefield, London Transgender Clinic (LTC), UK
- Dr. Harrison Lee, Los Angeles / New York, USA
- Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel, Boston, USA
- Dr. Bart van de Ven, 2pass Clinic, Antwerp, Belgium
All surgeons gave a quotation for the following procedures:
- Forehead reconstruction
- Lip lift
The proposals included additional fees for anaesthesia, materials and the hospital. In one case (Dr Di Maggio) a specifically Argentinian tax had to be added. Quotations were given in the Euro, British pound, and US dollar. For this comparison, we converted and rounded all prices to the euro.
- The quotes are based on one individual patient. Fees may differ in other cases.
- Dr Di Maggio (MDM) works in two different locations. One of the hospitals is cheaper.
- Dr Lee’s rates were obtained by telephone, without prior consultation.
- From an American patient, we learned that her quote for surgery by Facial Team was nearly twice as high as the one by 2pass Clinic. Apparently, Facial Team might have different prices for FFS depending on the country the patient lives in.
- Caution—A higher cost does not equal better care or a higher quality treatment. In the end, you have to make a decision based on which FFS surgeon can most likely give you the preferred outcome. Learn here how to choose your surgeon.
Cost for stay during recovery after FFS
- Facial Team and 2pass Clinic provided a quote for a stay in their own accommodation. The costs of stay of the other surgeons were based on figures from BudgetYourTrip.com.
- Facial Team recommended a stay of 11 days, 2pass Clinic 7 days, MDM 16 days, Dr. Spiegel 10 days. Our comparison is based on 10 days in each location.
- Click the button below to discover the costs for each of these 6 FFS surgeons!
Testimonial—FFS costs of Jessica
Jessica asked for quotes for her full FFS with different surgeons before she chose to have her surgery with us. The price difference between them was huge. Let's take a look at her case!
This comparative study is based on the price for Jessica’s round of full Facial Feminization Surgery* (see video above). She had the following procedures done:
- Hairline reduction
- Type 3 forehead recontouring
- Jaw and chin recontouring
- Tracheal shave
- Lipofilling cheeks
- Lipofilling lips
*What we call a ‘full FFS’ generally consists of about 4 to 5 major procedures and one or two minor ones.
The Facial Feminization Surgery cost in Europe
Even within Europe, you can find many differences between prices for a full Facial Feminization Surgery. Let’s compare the price of the full FFS for Jessica in Belgium versus Spain, the two main FFS hubs.
- Prices in Belgium—The cost for the full FFS in Jessica’s example above was 23.500 euros. This included a one week stay in the guesthouse and all hospital and surgery fees.
- Prices in Spain—A full FFS containing all of the procedures we listed above, would come in at around 48.000 euros. This would include an 11-day stay after the surgery, as well as all other hospital and surgery fees.
The Facial Feminization Surgery cost in the United States
The price of this full FFS for Jessica in the US would come in at between 50.000-60.000 dollars (43.000-53.000 euros) including all hospital and surgery fees.
Want to follow Jessica during her FFS journey?
She has her own youtube channel where you can see her FFS results and her recovery!
Get a quote
All consultation fees are fully donated to the charity organisation of Dr Bart van de Ven.
You have a few options
1 Live consultation (50 or 100 euro depending on the location)
Book a live consultation with Dr Bart van de Ven in Antwerp or one of the other cities he will be visiting. During your appointment, you will be able to address Dr Bart van de Ven with all of the questions you may have and he will give you his professional opinion on the procedures you might want or need. He will also make professional pictures and send a simulation of the FFS result based on the pictures after the consultation.
2 Pictures evaluation + Skype consultation (100 euro)
The Skype consultation combines the pictures evaluation with a Skype consultation.
- After booking your Skype consultations you will receive an email with instructions to send your pictures.
- Before the actual Skype consultation, Dr Bart van de Ven will make a personal analysis of your face and give his surgical opinion of which procedures you need to feminize your face. He will send you a quote for these procedures and a simulation of the FFS result based on the pictures you upload.
- During the consultation, Dr Bart van de Ven will answer all of your questions and explain the suggested procedures.
- The available hours are the same as the Antwerp consultation above (every Monday and Wednesday afternoon, and Friday morning, Brussels time).
3 Picture evaluation (50 euro)
Dr Bart van de Ven will make a personal analysis of your face and give his surgical opinion of which procedures you need to feminize your face. He will send you a quote for these procedures and a simulation of the FFS result based on the pictures you upload. The payment of the 50 euro is processed by Paypal (you don’t need a Paypal account to pay with Paypal). You can upload the requested pictures as instructed in the form.
We are doing our very best to keep this information up-to-date. In case you see anything that no longer seems accurate, or in case you have a question, please fill out the form below!