/Body Feminization Surgery/Practical/Postoperative instructions/Liposculpture of the breasts, hips or butt/
Liposculpture of the breasts, hips or butt
Table of contents:
- You will be provided with the following medication:
- Dafalgan-Codeine—Every 4 hours when in pain, max 6 a day.
- Ibuprofen—Every 4 hours when insufficient pain relief by Dafalgan, max 6 a day.
- Preventive Antibiotics—Amoxicilline 875 mg, 3 a day, starting the day after your operation, for 5 days.
Most important instructions
- Avoid pressure filled areas—After the procedure, it is necessary to avoid pressure on the lipofilled areas to allow for maximum fat survival. If you have a lipo-panty, it is adapted to accommodate for this. If you had gluteal or hip lipofilling, try to sleep on your stomach as much as possible. If you sit, try to use a saddle chair or a swimming tube to relieve pressure. If you had lipofilling of the breast, do not wear a bra or tight T-shirts, and try to sleep on the back or on the sides.
- Apply pressure to suction areas—Conversely, a pressure garment is indicated for the compression of liposuction areas. The panty is to be worn day and night for 6 weeks, and especially continuously the first 10 days. After 10 days you can take it off to quickly (30 min) take a shower, while someone else washes the panty by hand and dries it with a hair dryer. After that you can put the panty back on. Make sure the skin is unfolded under the panty. Around the flanks the pressure bandage should be worn for 3 weeks. If liposuction is performed on the legs, liposculpture pants are worn for 6 weeks.
The day of operation
- Stay in bed the first night—If you had a really extensive liposuction, you might feel lightheaded and nauseous for 24-36 hours. We probably advised a stay in the guesthouse. In that case, we will try to keep you in bed to avoid accidents caused by fainting. Some extra IV fluid might be administered to help you recover. In rare cases, a urinary catheter can be placed for safety reasons.
- Drinking—You can have a drink 2 hours after the procedure. If you do not experience nausea, more drinking is allowed. It is important to drink at least one liter of fluid today. This can be coca-cola, tea with sugar, soup, … preferably no coffee or alcohol. Sparkling drinks can bloat the stomach and conflict with the pressure garment.
- Food—If drinking goes fine, the you can eat yoghurt. If yoghurt goes fine, you can eat sandwiches. The first 10 days you can eat protein-rich foods, this will speed up your recovery. If you had a lipofilling, dark chocolate is advised the first three days.
- Pain relief—If necessary you can take the pain medication given to you as instructed above.
- Raise your legs—If you had liposuction of the legs, try to raise the legs as much as possible, because they are especially sensitive to fluid collection. Sometimes, lymph drainage with a physiotherapist can relieve the fluid in the legs.
The day after your operation
- Remove absorbing compresses—The first 24 hours you will lose a lot of fluid. The fluid can contain some blood. This is mostly wound fluid or irrigation fluid with some drops of blood, so do not panic. After 24 hours you can remove the absorbing compresses, but leave the little bandage underneath in place. Put the lipo-panty back on, and make sure the skin is not folded underneath the lipo-panty.
- Exercise—The day after the surgery you will feel bruised. Try to move a little bit and walk around. Sports that do not cause shocks or extreme motions (walking, cycling, etc) are allowed after one week.
- Raise your legs—If you had liposuction of the legs, try to raise the legs as much as possible, because they are especially sensitive to fluid collections. Sometimes lymph drainage with a physiotherapist can enlighten the fluid in the legs.
- Sun/tanning—Try to avoid tanning the first two months or use sunblock.
- Temperature—If you have a fever (over 38,5°C), or the pain is increasing, contact the treating physician.
We are doing our very best to keep this information up-to-date. In case you see anything that no longer seems accurate, or in case you have a question, please fill out the form below!